Movie Studio 13 Platinum
This document contains information on the following topics:
||Applicable to boxed products only. If you've purchased a downloadable product, an Adobe Acrobat (PDF) version of the product documentation is available from our Web site.
Thank you for purchasing Sony Creative Software Inc. Movie Studio Platinum 13.0 software. This document contains information about installing and using Movie Studio Platinum on your computer.
Notable fixes/changes in version 13.0 (Build 942)
- Resolved an issue that could prevent VASST Fasst Apps from loading.
What's new in version 13.0
- You can now pair stereoscopic 3D subclips at the track level.
- Additional multistream 3D formats are now supported.
- Added support for automatic 3D pairing of single-stream clips from the PMW-TD300, PMW-F3 with 3D Link option, and cameras that append _L and _R to left- and right-eye clip names.
- Color Match allows you to automatically match the color between clips.
- Added new rendering templates for delivering Sony XAVC S video.
- Added new rendering templates for delivering video in a portrait orientation.
- Added 64-bit Gracenote support.
- Simple Edit Mode with touchscreen editing support. Many toolbars and menu items are now larger to accommodate touch gestures.
- New fade and trim handles on events.
- Dragging the playhead moves the cursor along the timeline. Press Ctrl and drag the playhead to scrub the timeline.
- Added support for uploading projects to Facebook.
- New toolbar added below the timeline to make timeline editing more efficient.
- Streamlined toolbars in the main Movie Studio Platinum window, Project Media window, and Explorer window.
- New right-click menu in the Titles & Text plug-in allows quick access to Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, and Select All commands for editing text.
- The Explorer window has been redesigned.
- You can now simultaneously adjust the fades of all selected events.
- Animated generated media events now display a thumbnail image in the timeline.
- Render progress is now displayed in the Windows taskbar. If the render time is greater than a minute, a sound is played when rendering is complete.
To change the sound, go Control Panel in Windows and click Sound. Click the Sounds tab and expand the Movie Studio Platinum 13.0 entry. When you select the Render Complete event, you can preview the current sound, assign a new sound, or turn off the Render Complete sound.
- Movie Studio Platinum requires QuickTime 7.1.6 or later. As a general rule, you are encouraged to use the most current version of QuickTime.
- If you are printing a rendered file to HDV tape,
the file must precisely conform to the target HDV
and file type requirements, or the print-to-tape operation
will fail. Rendering using the provided HDV MPEG-2 render
templates—unmodified in any way—is required to successfully
print to HDV tape.
- The Sony Handycam USB driver that is included with DVD-based camcorders can prevent Movie Studio Platinum from recognizing a USB-connected camera. If you use the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel to uninstall the "Sony DVD Handycam USB driver" component, Movie Studio Platinum will be able connect to the camera and import video using Import > DVD Camcorder Disc.
- The Apply deinterlace filter and Wait for vertical sync check boxes are not available
when previewing a stereoscopic 3D project using the Stereoscopic 3D Graphics Card device with a GeForce video card.
- If you see flickering when previewing a stereoscopic 3D project when using the Stereoscopic 3D Graphics Card device, use the NVIDIA control panel to set your 3D Vision monitor's refresh rate to 120 Hz.
- The Tools > Burn Disc > Blu-ray Disc with Menus command is not available when working with 5.1 surround projects. You can use Tools > Burn Disc > Blu-ray Disc to burn a 5.1 surround project from the timeline. If you want to use DVD Architect Studio to author a Blu-ray Disc with menus, please use the Audio tab in the Movie Studio Platinum Project Properties dialog to set your project's Master bus mode to Stereo.
- OpenCL GPU rendering is not available when using AMD Radeon Catalyst driver 11.3. Please use driver version 11.2.
- When using the 64-bit version of Movie Studio Platinum, third-party plug-ins will work only if they are 64-bit plug-ins. Please check with the plug-in vendor for available updates. You can share projects between 32- and 64-bit versions of Movie Studio Platinum installations, performing editing as needed in 32-bit Movie Studio Platinum and finishing the project in 64-bit Movie Studio Platinum.
- Some MOV files recorded by devices running Apple iOS 6 may fail to read correctly when using QuickTime 7.7.2. Updating to QuickTime 7.7.3 resolves the issue.
The following lists the minimum system requirements for using Sony Creative Software Inc. Movie Studio Platinum software:
- Microsoft® Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 (Windows 8 or later with a touchscreen required for touchscreen editing)
- 2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD or stereoscopic 3D)
- 500 MB hard-disk space for program installation
- 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
- OHCI-compatible IEEE-1394DV card (for DV or HDV capture and print-to-tape)
- USB 2.0 connection (for importing from AVCHD or DVD camcorders)
- Supported NVIDIA, AMD/ATI, or Intel GPU with at least 512 MB of memory (for GPU-accelerated AVC rendering and video processing):
For the latest information about supported hardware, please see our Web site.
Requires a CUDA-enabled GPU and driver 270.xx or later.
- GeForce GPUs: GeForce GTX 4xx Series or higher (or GeForce GT 2xx Series or higher with driver 297.03 or later).
- Quadro GPUs: Quadro 600 or higher (or Quadro FX 1700 or higher with driver 297.03 or later).
NVIDIA recommends NVIDIA Quadro for professional applications and recommends use of the latest boards based on the Fermi architecture.
Requires an OpenCL-enabled
GPU and Catalyst driver 11.7 or later with a Radeon HD 57xx or higher
GPU. If using a FirePro GPU, FirePro unified driver 8.85 or later is required.
|Requires an OpenCL-enabled GPU such as HD Graphics 4000.
For more information about troubleshooting GPU acceleration issues, we've prepared an article on our knowledge base.
- Windows-compatible sound card
- DVD-ROM drive (for installation from a DVD only)
- Supported CD-recordable drive (for CD burning only)
- Supported DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW (for DVD burning only)
- Supported BD-R/-RE drive (for Blu-ray Disc™ burning only)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 or later
- Apple® QuickTime® 7.1.6 or later for reading and writing QuickTime files
Please note: You must provide your registration information to Sony Creative Software Inc. to activate the software.
*.NET 3.5 adds functionality to .NET 2.0. After installing the .NET Framework 3.5, versions 2.0 and 3.5 will be displayed in the Windows Add or Remove Programs listing. Do not attempt to uninstall version 2.0; it is required by version 3.5.
The install utility creates any necessary folders and copies all files required by Movie Studio Platinum software to your computer.
Installing from a boxed product
- Place the Movie Studio Platinum application disc in the drive. The setup screen
is displayed (if AutoPlay is enabled for your optical drive).
||If you have turned off the drive's AutoPlay
feature, click the Start button and type
D:\setup.exe, where D is the drive letter of your optical drive, and follow the on-screen prompts to
complete the installation.
- Click Install, and then follow the on-screen
prompts to install the appropriate version of Movie Studio Platinum for
Installing from the Web
- Download the install utility from our Web
- Double-click the file, and then follow the on-screen prompts
to install the appropriate version of Movie Studio Platinum for your computer.
6.0 Movie Studio Platinum Quick Start Guide
Included on the application disc is a Movie Studio Platinum Quick Start Guide in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. The Acrobat format allows easy
printing of the text, should you need a hard copy. The Quick Start Guide is located in the Manual folder on the application disc.
Installing Adobe Reader
In order to view the Quick Start Guide, you will need to install
Adobe Reader. You can download the latest version of Adobe Reader from http://get.adobe.com/reader/
If you would like information or trial/demo versions of other products
from Sony Creative Software Inc., please visit our Web
. You will always find the latest technical information,
trials, demos, and product announcements from Sony Creative Software
Commercial distribution of the trials and demos requires written permission from Sony Creative Software Inc.
8.0 Contacting Sony Creative Software Inc.
Sony Creative Software Inc. can be contacted in the following ways:
Sony Creative Software Inc.
8215 Greenway Boulevard
Middleton, Wisconsin 53562
Telephone support during normal office hours:
- 1-800-577-6642 (toll-free) in US, Canada, and Virgin Islands.
- +608-203-7620 for all other countries.
- Fax: 1-608-250-1745.
© 2015. Sony Creative Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.