This document contains information on the following topics:
Thank you for purchasing Catalyst Prepare. This document contains information about installing and using Catalyst Prepare
Notable fixes/changes in version 2015.1.1
- Improved performance when navigating XDCAM folders with large numbers of clips.
- Fixed a bug that would cause the application to crash if OpenCL.dll was not present.
Upgrading Windows 10 can uninstall required OpenCL components. Reinstalling the application will repair the problem in most cases.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when using the Register Offline method on Windows 7.
- Fixed a bug that could cause gaps between thumbnails after rearranging clips in a clip list.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent the Browse button from working correctly after deleting the folder path when exporting a storyboard.
- Fixed a bug that could cause image corruption in some rendered XAVC Long clips.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent clips from being added when selecting multiple folders and choosing Add selected folders as bins.
- Fixed a bug that prevented each clip's audio and video from being linked after exporting your project to Adobe Premiere.
- Fixed a bug that prevented each clip's audio and video from being grouped after exporting your project to Final Cut Pro X.
- Fixed a bug that could cause storyboard export to fail when using custom channel names in the Channel Assignment section of the Clip Inspector.
Notable fixes/changes in version 2015.1
- We’ve made major changes to the workflow and the UI in Catalyst Prepare, allowing you to directly access files on your devices, hard drives, and network locations. You can now log clips, perform color correction, and copy, transcode, and share to Ci without having to import the files into your library first.
- In Organize mode, you can make a checksum-verified, full-volume backup; browse your computer for media files; copy media to your computer; add to your media libraries; organize library clips using bins; export clips to additional volumes or devices; upload to Sony Media Cloud Services Ci; and transcode files.
- In Edit mode, you can preview media, mark in and out points, and apply looks and color correction.
- Added support for repairing flash bands.
- User look profiles are now saved in a common location that is shared between Catalyst Prepare and Catalyst Edit:
- OS X:
- Added support for detecting color space for clips created by the Sony Alpha α7.
- Added Set all to mono, Set all to stereo, and Reset commands to the Channel Tools button on the Summary tab of the Inspector. You can use these new commands to set all of a clip's channels at once.
- Added 4K presets for exporting to Apple ProRes format (OS X only).
- Added support for transcoding XAVC S files.
- Added support for reading and transcoding uncompressed 10-bit SD MXF clips.
- Added support for adjusting the split location when using split-screen preview in the Adjust Color workspace.
- Added a Look Tools button to the color-correction workspace to allow you to set a default look profile that can be applied when no look profile is specified in a clip's metadata.
- Added context menus for easier editing: right-click (Windows) or control-click (OS X) a clip or folder to display a context menu.
- You can now double-click a .cpreplib file in Windows Explorer or OS X Finder to open the library.
- You can now apply color presets and ASC-CDL settings to multiple selected files in Organize mode.
- Thumbnail generation is now suspended during playback to improve performance when playing clips from an XDCAM drive unit.
- Added a new icon to indicate when folders or media files from your library were moved or deleted outside of Catalyst Prepare.
- Added support for using the I and O shortcut keys to set mark in and mark out points.
- Added a Favorite Folders section to the folder list in dialogs that allow you to browse your system.
- Added support for showing source clip. Select a file, click the File/Clip button at the bottom of the window, and choose Show in Finder (OS X)/Show in Explorer (Windows).
- When copying clips with Copy only between mark in/out points selected, the starting timecode is now respected for non-MXF files.
- Copying a loose clip multiple times now creates renamed copies of the clip.
- The last-used folder is now persisted when transcoding clips, copying clips, and rendering storyboards.
- The bottom toolbar now displays the total number of items in the current folder if no clip is selected.
- Added context menus to clips, storyboards, and folders to access frequently used functions.
- Added support for importing an EDL.
- You can now choose Wave and MP3 format to export audio-only files.
- You can now press Delete to delete files in the Media Browser.
- Time remaining is now displayed during transcoding or rendering.
- Added support for rendering 1440x1080 progressive clips to ProRes format (OS X only).
- Improved performance when previewing clips from a network folder.
- Improved performance when working with bins and storyboards containing large numbers of clips.
- The keyboard shortcut to reset Mark In/Out points is now Shift+R.
- ProRes render template descriptions now include bit rate information (OS X only).
- When you close the application, you are now prompted to cancel any in-progress tasks.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash during startup when running under Windows 10 with multiple GPUs.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash in some cases when closing and restarting the application during a render.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when closing and reopening the application quickly.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when renaming some MXF clips.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when adjusting the mark in/out points of a storyboard clip.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when ejecting a volume.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when attempting to browse to a folder that had been deleted.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash if you removed a clip while a storyboard was loading.
- Fixed a bug that prevented metadata from being saved in XAVC S files.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when logging out of Ci while uploading a clip.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to become unresponsive after switching libraries while importing clips.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when holding the ` or ~ key to switch Storyboard, Clip, and Adjust Color workspaces after opening a storyboard.
- Fixed a bug that could cause display inconsistencies in Edit mode when selecting multiple storyboard clips.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent storyboards from being updated correctly when removing clips in Organize mode.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the incorrect look to be applied to clips if you added a .cube file to the Catalyst Prepare ColorManagement/Looks folder or rename a file in that folder.
- Fixed a bug that could allow you to modify the Source drop-down in the Color Space group in the Adjust Color Space workspace even when the lock button was enabled.
- Fixed a bug that caused Log XAVC clips to be detected as Rec.709.
- When using the 2 Up split-screen preview mode in the Adjust Color workspace, safe areas are now correctly displayed on both sides of the display when Show safe areas is selected.
- Fixed a bug that could cause clips to be sorted incorrectly.
- Fixed a bug that prevented zoom from working in the video preview in Edit mode.
- Fixed a bug that prevented clips from being added to a storyboard when using the + button at the end of the storyboard in Edit mode.
- Fixed a bug that could cause storyboard clip in/out points to be reset after adding a new clip to a storyboard.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the Unlock, Revert, and Save buttons in Organize mode to disappear when editing audio channel assignments.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent metadata changes from being saved or displayed.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when reading metadata for some file formats.
- Fixed a bug that could preview playback to be delayed while loading thumbnail images.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the Source Color Space settings to be blank when previewing multiple files.
- Fixed a bug that could cause color settings to be displayed incorrectly when switching clips.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro card from working correctly.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent folders from being displayed correctly after using the Add to favorites command.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a brief delay when selecting a clip.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a thumbnail display inconsistency in Organize mode after loading a library.
- Fixed a bug that could cause clips to be transcoded incorrectly on some operating systems other than English, Japanese, or Simplified Chinese.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to incorrectly report that a copy operation was successful when copying clips to a volume with insufficient space (OS X only).
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to display incorrectly after closing and restarting the application in full-screen mode on some multimonitor configurations.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent the Show safe areas and Mask to 2.39:1 clip overlays from being displayed correctly in the Adjust Color workspace.
- Fixed a bug that could cause copy operations to fail when copying clips to the Videos, Documents, Music or Pictures folder when the Copy all related media check box is not selected (Windows only).
Notable fixes/changes in version 2.0.2
- Fixed a bug that omitted the Source column from the HTML report when exporting a storyboard.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash if the application was closed, opened, and closed again while a render was in progress.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash after removing clips from a storyboard and adding multiple clips in Organize mode.
- Updated the embedded Web browser to support TLS 1.2 encryption.
Notable fixes/changes in version 2.0.1
- Added support for editing sliders in the Color Correction section of the Inspector numerically: click the value and type a new value to specify a precise value.
- Added support for choosing a workspace when using the Upload to Ci feature (Options > Share to Ci). Previous versions of Catalyst Prepare selected your first workspace by default; if that workspace was too small, uploading was not permitted.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash if you used the New Folder button in the Export To dialog and selected the new folder as your export destination (OS X only).
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when switching the Video processing device setting.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when playing ProRes clips and switching between Organize and Export modes (OS X only).
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash in Import mode when adding or removing volumes.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when connecting to a network drive via the OS X Finder.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash if a clip was deleted via Windows Explorer or OS X Finder while it was selected in the application.
- Fixed a bug that could cause backups to fail when attempting to create multiple backups concurrently.
- Fixed a bug that could cause 4K clips shot on the Sony F5 camera to incorrectly display an error icon in Catalyst Prepare.
- Fixed a bug that could cause thumbnail images to disappear in Import mode when creating a new library or changing libraries.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the Channel Assignment section of the Inspector Summary tab to be blank when viewing clips that were added via the Add existing folder commmand.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the Split-Screen Preview button in the Adjust Color workspace to display a setting that did not match the current preview.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to incorrectly state that installation was successful when attempting to install to a disk with insufficient space.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to incorrectly report render failures on some computers (OS X only).
Notable fixes/changes in version 2.0
- Added presets for exporting Apple ProRes clips (OS X only).
- Added support for XDCAM PD proxy files when browsing PDW-700, PDW-800, and PDW-850 flash memory.
- Added support for copying a snapshot of the current frame to the clipboard.
- Added support for adding, deleting, and editing essence marks.
- Added support for sequentially previewing multiple selected clips.
- Added support for scaling the video preview in the Adjust Color workspace.
- Added support for HiDPI displays when running under Windows.
- Added audio channel configuration controls to the Summary tab in the Inspector.
- Added audio channel tools to the Summary tab in the Inspector to allow you to load and save channel-configuration presets or copy channel assignments and paste them to multiple selected files.
- Thumbnail images now reflect color correction settings.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when canceling an import operation.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to freeze when exporting a storyboard to Adobe Premiere on a computer with a French or German operating system.
- Fixed a bug that could cause transcoding to fail when the source media resolution did not match the target resolution.
- Fixed a bug that could cause incorrect timecode values when transcoding an SD clip to an HD format.
- Fixed a bug that prevented some unsupported files from displaying their unsupported status correctly in the Video Preview (OS X only).
- Fixed a bug that could prevent the application from displaying clips correctly when selecting a new folder or storyboard (Windows only).
- Fixed a bug that could cause the Grade in drop-down list in the Options menu to be empty when you first start the application.
- Improved image quality for files transcoded to XAVC format.
- Catalyst Prepare 2.0 is a free upgrade to owners of Catalyst Prepare. If you purchased and registered any previous version of Catalyst Prepare, a new Catalyst Prepare 2.0 serial number will be created in your My Account profile on sonycreativesoftware.com.
For online registration, just log in on the registration web page after starting Catalyst Prepare 2.0, and the serial number will be preselected for you.
For offline registration, log in to the web site from another device and find your serial number (https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/myaccount/mysoftware).
Version 2.0 serial numbers will also be provided to registered owners via e-mail.
- The application may not display if you run the application on a secondary monitor and then restart the application with the secondary monitor disconnected. Hold Ctrl+Shift when starting the application to reset the application settings.
- When playing 4K clips, the video preview can display irregularities on some systems that do not meet the system requirements for 4K media.
- ASC-CDL (.cdl) files are not displayed in the Load ASC-CDL dialog when the file is saved in a known folder structure (such as an XAVC or XDCAM volume). Saving the ASC-CDL files in a generic location such as the General folder will allow you to load them.
- The application may fail to start on some notebook computers with the Intel HD Graphics graphics adapter. Please visit https://downloadcenter.intel.com to manually download and install the latest driver for your graphics adapter.
- If the application displays “A compatible graphics card that supports OpenCL 1.1 is required for GPU acceleration. Please install updated graphics drivers or install a compatible graphics card.” please try to install a newer graphics driver. If that is not possible, install the Intel OpenCL runtime for CPU: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers.
- If playback is not smooth when previewing high-resolution clips, click the magnifying glass in the video preview window and decrease the preview resolution.
- Metadata cannot be saved in non-MXF files — and some MXF files — that are not in a folder structure.
- On some systems, transcoding can fail when using Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 8.1 version 10.18.15.4279. Please use the latest driver from Intel.
- Blackmagic Design Desktop Video 10.1.1 or later is required when using an external monitor via a Blackmagic Design SDI or UltraStudio device.
- Spanned AVCHD clips may exhibit audio and video noise when previewing the transition between clips. Transcoding is not available for spanned AVCHD clips. We recommend that you copy the clips to your local drive before working with them.
- If you need to format an SxS card, please use the Memory Media Utility.
- If you need to format or finalize an XDCAM Professional Disc volume, please use the XDCAM Drive Software.
- Transcoding performance can be slow when transcoding to an exFAT-formatted SxS card on Windows.
- When exporting a storyboard, the Destination folder exports to your Home folder by default, resulting in a failed export. Choosing a different folder will allow the export to complete successfully (OS X only).
- In some cases, metadata and mark in/out points that were edited in Catalyst Browse are not preserved after importing a clip into Catalyst Prepare. Closing and reopening Catalyst Prepare will update cached metadata.
- In some cases, the application can crash if you edit a storyboard before the storyboard has finished loading.
- On some computers, the application can hang during startup/registration. Updating your graphics driver will allow the application to start normally.
- When using libraries created in Catalyst Prepare 2.0 or earlier, external folders in the library are displayed as bins.
- Clip mark in/out points are incorrectly applied during playback and transcoding in the EDL Import workspace. If you open the source clips in Edit mode and use the Reset mark in/out points command before importing the EDL, the in/out positions from the EDL will be used.
- When using DaVinci Resolve to open a Catalyst Prepare project that was exported to Final Cut Pro X format, color-correction information (Lift, Gamma, and Gain) can be imported if the DaVinci Resolve timeline frame rate matches the Final Cut Pro project frame rate.
- In some cases, storyboard clips that use interlaced media can display a black frame at the beginning or end of the clip. You can adjust the mark in/out points to exclude the black frame.
- When using Catalyst Prepare 2015.1 to create color presets that contain a Temperature adjustment, the Temperature value will be incorrect when loading the preset in Catalyst Browse or any other version of Catalyst Prepare. You can adjust the Temperature value in the destination application and resave the preset to use it.
Color presets created in Catalyst Browse or any other version of Catalyst Prepare will display incorrect Temperature values when loaded in Catalyst Prepare 2015.1. You can adjust the Temperature value in the Catalyst Prepare 2015.1 and resave the preset to use it.
The following lists the minimum system requirements for using Catalyst Prepare:
- A 64-bit operating system: Microsoft® Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 or Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or 10.11 (El Capitan)
- 2 GHz multicore processor (8 cores recommended for 4K media)
- 500 MB hard-disk space for program installation
- Solid-state disk (SSD) or high-speed RAID for 4K media
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB recommended; 16 GB recommended for 4K media)
- NVIDIA, AMD/ATI, or Intel GPU
with support for the following:
You must provide your registration information to Sony Creative Software Inc., a US company, in order to activate the software. Product requires online registration.
- OpenGL 2.1
- OpenCL 1.1 or later with at least 512 MB of memory (2 GB recommended for 4K media) or a CPU with SSE 4.2 or higher
The install utility creates any necessary folders and copies all files required by Catalyst Prepare to your computer.
Installing on Windows
- Download the install utility from our Web
- Double-click the file, and then follow the on-screen prompts
to install the appropriate version of Catalyst Prepare for your computer.
Installing on OS X
- Download the Catalyst Prepare DMG file from our Web
- Double-click the downloaded .dmg file.
- Drag the Catalyst Browse icon into to your Applications folder to install it on your computer.
If you would like information or trial/demo versions of other products
from Sony Creative Software Inc., please visit our Web
. You will always find the latest technical information,
trials, demos, and product announcements from Sony Creative Software
Commercial distribution of the trials and demos requires written permission from Sony Creative Software Inc.
7.0 Contacting Sony Creative Software Inc.
Sony Creative Software Inc. can be contacted in the following ways:
Sony Creative Software Inc.
8215 Greenway Boulevard
Middleton, Wisconsin 53562
Telephone support during normal office hours:
- 1-800-577-6642 (toll-free) in US, Canada, and Virgin Islands.
- +608-203-7620 for all other countries.
- Fax: 1-608-250-1745.
© 2015. Sony Creative Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.
XDCAM, XDCAM EX, XAVC, XAVC S, NXCAM, SxS and Professional Disc are trademarks of Sony Corporation.
All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners in the United States and other countries. For more information, see http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/licensenotices