This document contains information on the following topics:
Thank you for purchasing Catalyst Browse. This document contains information about installing and using Catalyst Browse.
Catalyst Browse is a powerful clip-management tool for the latest Sony camcorders and decks.
- The Media Browser pane allows you to browse the media files on drives and devices connected to your computer.
- The Video pane allows you to preview media files.
- The Inspector pane allows you to view metadata saved in media files.
- The Adjust Color workspace allows you to adjust the color content of your clips.
- Clip lists allow you to assemble clips when working with XDCAM media in an XD root folder, XAVC media in an XD root folder, and RAW media in an AxS folder.
Catalyst Browse is designed to support clips from Sony cameras and devices. For expanded device support, please consider Catalyst Prepare.
Notable fixes/changes in version 2.1
- Added support for copying clips from an ODA volume to a local disk.
- The selected Video processing device is now used for transcoding.
- Added support for multipass video encoding when transcoding to XAVC Long format when using the Optimize image quality encoding mode.
- Added support for parallel-frame encoding when transcoding to XAVC Intra format when using the Optimize image quality or Optimize encoding speed encoding mode.
- Added support for transcoding to XAVC S format.
- Added support for viewing Rec.2020 clips. Rec.2020 clips are automatically converted to Rec.709 for preview and transcoding.
- Upload to Ci is no longer available in the EDL Import workspace.
- Added a Preview using proxy clips switch in Options to improve playback performance on systems with limited processing power.
- Added support for displaying proxy file metadata in the Inspector.
- Added support for displaying half-step timecode for each field in 50p/60p sources. The timecode for field two will be displayed with an asterisk appended. Use the 50p/60p half-step timecode display switch in Options.
- Added a Crop type drop-down list to the Transcode to dialog to allow you to choose the aspect ratio of transcoded clips.
- An error message is now displayed when attempting to import an audio-only EDL.
- Added a new icon to indicate clips that span multiple discs on an ODA volume. Playback of these clips is not supported.
- Editing functions are not available for clips loaded from an ODA volume: editing mark in/out points; editing summary metadata; renaming clips, deleting clips, or repairing flash bands; transcoding; copying to an ODA volume; uploading to Ci; creating clip lists; and combining relay clips.
- The application now displays a notification when Professional Disc volumes are busy.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when using an external monitor.
- Fixed a bug that would cause the application to crash if OpenCL.dll was not present.
Upgrading Windows 10 can uninstall required OpenCL components. Reinstalling the application will repair the problem in most cases.
- Fixed a bug that prevented transcoding to OpenEXR (ACES/Linear) from outputting linear data.
- Fixed a number of bugs that prevented color adjustment from working as it did in Catalyst Browse 2.0.
- Fixed a bug that prevented clips from being deleted correctly from Professional Disc volumes when deleting clips from Browse mode.
- Fixed a bug that prevented clip lists from being created directly to a Sony PDW-U2 XDCAM Disc Drive Unit.
- Fixed a bug that prevented some keyboard shortcuts from working correctly in the EDL Import workspace.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when ejecting a volume.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when scrolling in Browse mode.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the Add padding to clips value in the Transcode To dialog from persisting.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent folders from being displayed correctly after using the Add to favorites command.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the application from transcoding some progressive-scan clips to interlaced formats.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to display incorrectly after closing and restarting the application in full-screen mode on some multimonitor configurations.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent the Show safe areas and Mask to 2.39:1 clip overlays from being displayed correctly in the Adjust Color workspace.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the Undo and Redo buttons to be unavailable after making color adjustments to a clip list.
- Fixed a bug that could cause gaps between thumbnails after rearranging clips in a storyboard.
- Improved bit rate display for clips and added a Maximum bit rate display.
- Fixed a bug that caused the Include drop-down list to be incorrectly set as All color settings when transcoding an EDL. Color adjustments should not be included in transcoded files, and the drop-down list now correctly displays No color adjustments when transcoding an EDL.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the Exposure Index slider in the Adjust Color workspace to be set to an incorrect position.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the Source Settings controls from displaying in the Adjust Color workspace when working with clip lists and using S-Gamut/S-Log2, S-Gamut3.Cine/S-Log3, or S-Gamut3/S-Log3 as the Source setting.
- Resolved an issue that could cause inconsistent display of summary metadata in the Inspector when multiple files were selected.
- Resolved an issue that could prevent clips in read-only clip lists from displaying correctly.
- Fixed an issue that could cause summary metadata to be discarded without prompting the user when closing the application.
- Fixed an issue that could cause the Media Browser and Places pane to be displayed when Catalyst Browse was run in view-only mode.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent timecode from being updated after stopping playback.
Notable fixes/changes in version 2.0.1
- Improved performance when accessing Professional Disc volumes.
- Added French and German language support.
- Updated Japanese and Simplified Chinese language support.
- Added support for detecting color space for clips created by the Sony Alpha α7.
- Added support for editing Summary metadata for Professional Disc volumes in the Inspector.
- Improved audio performance during variable-rate playback.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when inserting a disc in the Sony PDW-U2 XDCAM Disc Drive Unit.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash during startup when running under Windows 10 with multiple GPUs.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when attempting to drop a clip on the EDL Import workspace.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when attempting to browse to a folder that had been deleted.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to stop responding in some cases after clicking the Repair button in the Flash Band workspace.
- Fixed a bug that could cause accented characters to be displayed incorrectly.
- Fixed a bug that could cause image corruption in some transcoded XAVC Long clips.
- Fixed a bug that could cause clips to be transcoded incorrectly on some operating systems other than English, Japanese, or Simplified Chinese.
- The Go to Location and Add to Favorites commands are now unavailable when the application is started in view-only mode.
Notable fixes/changes in version 2.0
- Added support for repairing flash bands.
- Added support for adjusting the split location when using split-screen preview in the Adjust Color workspace.
- Added support for editing sliders in the Color Correction section of the Inspector numerically: click the value and type a new value to specify a precise value.
- Added support for adjusting color correction when working with clip lists.
- Added a Play all frames (speed) setting to playback settings to allow you to choose to optimize decoding to preserve the frame rate.
- Added support for GPS metadata in XAVC S clips recorded by the Sony Action Cam.
- Added support for GPS metadata in XAVC proxy clips recorded by the CBK-WA100 wireless adapter.
- Added support for playing XAVC Intra CBG Class 200 MXF clips.
- Added support for combining relay-recorded clips.
- Added support for importing an EDL.
- Added support for choosing a workspace when using the Upload to Ci feature (Options > Share to Ci). Previous versions of Catalyst Browse selected your first workspace by default; if that workspace was too small, uploading was not permitted.
- Time remaining is now displayed during transcoding.
- Improved support for displaying metadata.
- Added support for browsing connected devices in Browse mode.
- Added support for browsing recently viewed folders in Browse mode.
- In Browse mode, you can now click the File button and choose Add to Favorites to add the current folder to the Favorite Folders list in the Places pane.
- In Browse mode, the bottom toolbar now displays the total number of items in the current folder if no clip is selected.
- You can now press Delete to delete files in the Media Browser.
- You can now use drag-and-drop operations to copy clips in the Media Browser.
- Added context menus for easier editing: right-click (Windows) or control-click (OS X) a clip or folder to display a context menu
- Added support for ejecting volumes in Browse mode.
- Added support for adding padding to clips during transcoding.
- Added support for transcoding 1440x1080 progressive clips to ProRes format (OS X only).
- Added support for transcoding 1440x1080 XAVC Intra clips.
- Added support for reading and transcoding uncompressed 10-bit SD MXF clips.
- When transcoding to DPX format, you can type a value in the Starting frame index box to append a numeric index to transcoded file names.
- The keyboard shortcut to reset Mark In/Out points is now Shift+R.
- ProRes render template descriptions now include bit rate information (OS X only).
- The File and Tools menus are now available in Browse and View mode.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when transcoding spanned .smi clips to XDCAM format.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when dragging a file from the OS X Finder to Catalyst Browse when the home folder was selected.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when adding mark points during playback.
- Fixed a bug that could cause Mark In/Out points to be displayed incorrectly after editing them.
- Added a Favorite Folders section to the folder list in dialogs that allow you to browse your system.
- Added support for using Open With in the OS X Finder to open files with Catalyst Browse.
- Added color sampling information to the Video section of the Inspector pane to display a clip's color space, color sampling, and video bit depth.
- Improved performance when browsing clips on the Sony PDW-U2 XDCAM Disc Drive Unit.
- The appropriate clip in a clip list is now selected when you adjust the timeline play position.
- When using Copy snapshot to clipboard, the image is now corrected for nonsquare pixels.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the Start time, End time, and Length values to be displayed incorrectly when viewing clip lists.
- Fixed a bug that could cause timecode values to be displayed incorrectly for XDCAM DV 25p clips.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the Grade in drop-down list in the Options menu to be empty when you first start the application.
- Fixed a bug that could cause an error if you switched away from the Mark Points tab in the Inspector while editing the name of an essence mark.
- Fixed a bug that could remove an essence mark's name when editing with a very long name on the Mark Points tab in the Inspector.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent the Ci Login dialog from being displayed in some cases after choosing the Upload to Ci command.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the Inspector pane from displaying clip names correctly after renaming.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent metadata from being displayed correctly after an edit.
- Resolved an issue that could prevent the application from displaying if you ran the application on a secondary monitor and then restarted the application with the secondary monitor disconnected.
- Fixed a bug that could cause Catalyst Browse to assume file associations unexpectedly.
- Fixed a bug that could cause an error when copying a clip to a destination that had previously contained a clip with the same file name.
- Fixed a bug that could cause clips to be sorted incorrectly when sorting by frame size.
- Fixed a bug that could cause transcoding presets to be incorrectly filtered.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the second field of each frame to be skipped when playing or transcoding interlaced media.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the Tint slider in the Adjust Color workspace to be reset after closing and restarting the application.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the audio meters to display a signal when playback was paused or stopped.
- Fixed a bug that could cause clip lists to display generic thumbnail images in the Media Browser after resetting Mark In/Out points.
- Fixed a bug that prevented clip list thumbnail images from displaying updated clip counts in the left pane when adding clips.
- Fixed a bug that prevented supported files from opening correctly when dropping them on the Catalyst Browse Dock icon (OS X only).
- Fixed a bug that could cause incorrect frames to be displayed after adding or removing clips from a clip list.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the cursor from updating when typing a value in the time display while viewing a clip list.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the application from playing AVCHD files created by Edius Pro or Adobe Premiere.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a vertical line in the resulting image when using Copy snapshot to clipboard (Windows only).
- Updated the embedded Web browser to support TLS 1.2 encryption.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent the application from displaying some AVCHD clips in the Media Browser (Windows only).
Notable fixes/changes in version 1.2.1
- Updated Japanese and Simplified Chinese language support.
- Fixed a bug that could cause 4K clips shot on the Sony PMW-F5 camera to incorrectly display an error icon in Catalyst Browse.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to incorrectly state that installation was successful when attempting to install to a disk with insufficient space.
Notable fixes/changes in version 1.2
- Added support for transcoding to XDCAM HD and HD422 formats.
- Added support for transcoding to long-GOP MPEG-2 formats.
- Added support for transcoding to SStP format.
- Added support for transcoding to XAVC Intra formats using the Sony XAVC encoder. Presets are now labeled to indicate whether they use the Sony or MainConcept encoder.
- Added 720p and 1080i presets for transcoding to XAVC format.
- Added 720p and 1080i presets for transcoding to Apple ProRes format (OS X only).
- Added support for transcoding clips between the mark in/out points of the source clip.
- Added support for copying a snapshot of the current frame to the clipboard.
- Added support for adding, deleting, and editing essence marks.
- Added support for sequentially previewing multiple selected clips.
- Added support for scaling the video preview in the Adjust Color workspace.
- Added support for HiDPI displays when running under Windows.
- When adding clips to a clip list, subclips now inherit title and description metadata from the source clip.
Notable fixes/changes in version 1.1.1
- Added Japanese and Simplified Chinese language support.
- Fixed a bug that prevented some unsupported files from displaying their unsupported status correctly in the Video Preview (OS X only).
- Improved image quality for files transcoded to XAVC format.
Notable fixes/changes in version 1.1
- Added a Vectorscope tool to the Adjust Color workspace.
- Added support for multifile transcoding when all source files use the same source settings.
- Added 1920x1080p and 2048x1080p presets for transcoding to Apple ProRes format (OS X only).
- Added support for reading DNxHD clips.
- Added support to combine to one file when copying a spanned AVCHD clip.
- Added support for reading SD MPEG-2 clips.
- Added support for writing XDCAM EX clips to SxS memory cards.
- Added support for transcoding to interlaced XAVC formats.
- Added the Transcode button to the Adjust Color workspace.
- Added Brightness and Contrast sliders to the Adjust Color workspace.
- Added support for reading Apple ProRes 422 files (OS X only).
- Added support for showing source clips from the Media Browser. Select a file, click the File button at the bottom of the Media Browser, and choose Show in Finder (OS X)/Show in Explorer (Windows).
- Added support for showing additional metadata values in the Media Browser.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent color correction settings from being applied to all clips in a clip list.
Please note that you'll be asked to register again after installing the version 1.1 update.
Notable fixes/changes in version 1.0.3
- Fixed a bug that prevented the application from reading some files recorded by the PXW-FS7 camera.
Notable fixes/changes in version 1.0.2
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash when working with color management on systems running in certain non-US locales.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the application from installing correctly on some Windows computers.
Notable fixes/changes in version 1.0.1
- Fixed a bug that prevented RAW files from previewing correctly when using the NVIDIA GeForce 340.52 drivers for Windows.
- On some computers, the application can hang during startup/registration. Updating your graphics driver will allow the application to start normally.
- Spanned AVCHD clips may exhibit audio and video noise when previewing the transition between clips. Transcoding is not available for spanned AVCHD clips. We recommend that you copy the clips to your local drive before working with them.
- ASC-CDL (.cdl) files are not displayed in the Load ASC-CDL dialog when the file is saved in a known folder structure (such as an XAVC or XDCAM volume). Saving the ASC-CDL files in a generic location such as the General folder will allow you to load them.
- When playing 4K clips, the video preview can display irregularities on some systems that do not meet the system requirements for 4K media.
- Dragging a proxy file from the Sub folder of a Professional Disc volume to the Catalyst Browse application results in the full-resolution file being loaded. If you copy the proxy file to a local disk before adding it to Catalyst browse, the proxy file will be loaded as expected.
- Transcoding performance can be slow when transcoding to an exFAT-formatted SxS card on Windows.
- On some systems, transcoding can fail when using Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 8.1 version 10.18.15.4279. Please use the latest driver from Intel.
- In some cases, transcoding does not work correctly if an EDL is opened while an EDL is already open in the EDL workspace. If you switch to Browse or View mode and reopen the EDL, transcoding will work as expected.
- If you use the Upload to Ci feature while the EDL Import workspace is open, the last-selected file from Browse or View mode is uploaded to Ci rather than the loaded EDL (OS X only).
- Blackmagic Design Desktop Video 10.1.1 or later is required when using an external monitor via a Blackmagic Design SDI or UltraStudio device.
- If playback is not smooth when previewing high-resolution clips, click the magnifying glass in the video preview window and decrease the preview resolution.
- Canceling flash band detection can cause unexpected behavior with flash band markers.
- The Combine relay clips command can produce incorrect timecode if used to combine clips that are not relay clips.
- Catalyst applications can crash on some Windows 10 systems that include multiple GPUs (one AMD GPU and one Intel or NVIDIA GPU). Please check for updated AMD GPU drivers: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.1-Hotfix-Release-Notes.aspx.
- If you need to format an SxS card, please use the Memory Media Utility.
- If you need to format or finalize an XDCAM Professional Disc volume, please use the XDCAM Drive Software.
The following lists the minimum system requirements for using Catalyst Browse:
- A 64-bit operating system: Microsoft® Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 or Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or 10.11 (El Capitan)
- 2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD; 8 cores recommended for 4K)
- 500 MB hard-disk space for program installation
- Solid-state disk (SSD) or high-speed RAID for 4K media
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB recommended; 16 GB recommended for 4K)
- NVIDIA, AMD/ATI, or Intel GPU
with support for the following:
You must provide your registration information to Sony Creative Software Inc., a US company, in order to activate the software. Product requires online registration.
- OpenGL 2.1
- OpenCL 1.1 or later with at least 512 MB of memory (2 GB recommended for 4K) or a CPU with SSE 4.2 or higher
The install utility creates any necessary folders and copies all files required by Catalyst Browse to your computer.
Installing on Windows
- Download the install utility from our Web
- Double-click the file, and then follow the on-screen prompts
to install the appropriate version of Catalyst Browse for your computer.
Installing on OS X
- Download the Catalyst Browse DMG file from our Web
- Double-click the downloaded .dmg file.
- Drag the Catalyst Browse icon into to your Applications folder to install it on your computer.
If you would like information or trial/demo versions of other products
from Sony Creative Software Inc., please visit our Web
. You will always find the latest technical information,
trials, demos, and product announcements from Sony Creative Software
Commercial distribution of the trials and demos requires written permission from Sony Creative Software Inc.
7.0 Contacting Sony Creative Software Inc.
Sony Creative Software Inc. can be contacted in the following ways:
Sony Creative Software Inc.
8215 Greenway Boulevard
Middleton, Wisconsin 53562
Telephone support during normal office hours:
- 1-800-577-6642 (toll-free) in US, Canada, and Virgin Islands.
- +608-203-7620 for all other countries.
- Fax: 1-608-250-1745.
© 2016. Sony Creative Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.
XDCAM, XDCAM EX, XAVC, XAVC S, NXCAM, SxS and Professional Disc are trademarks of Sony Corporation.
All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners in the United States and other countries. For more information, see http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/licensenotices