ACID® Pro 7.0
This document contains information on the following topics:
||Applicable to boxed products only. If you've purchased a downloadable
product, an Adobe Acrobat (PDF) version of the product documentation
is available from our Web
Thank you for purchasing ACID
7.0 software. This document contains information
about installing and using ACID software on your computer.
Notable Fixes/Changes in Version 7.0c
- Fixed a bug that could cause sub busses to be routed to hardware outputs when loading a project in certain cases.
- Fixed a bug that could cause ACID Pro 7.0b to crash if audio was dragged to an empty timeline while playback was in progress.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when moving a MIDI note on the timeline during playback when using some VSTis.
- Fixed a bug that could cause continuous data to MIDI controllers normally in “switch” mode (e.g. sustain pedal) to be misinterpreted as full-scale "switch" transitions.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when using multiple instances of the Garritan ARIA player v22.214.171.124 with multithreaded soft synth playback enabled. The solution requires an update to Garritan ARIA v126.96.36.199 or later also (see Known Issues below).
- Fixed a bug that could cause ACID Pro 7.0b to crash during MIDI track freeze when using soft synths whose outputs were routed to hardware outputs via sub busses.
- The sample project files on the installation DVD now play correct sounds when running under Windows Vista SP1 or later.
Notable Fixes/Changes in Version 7.0b
- Audio-waveform drawing during recording has been improved:
- Recorded waveforms are now updated at a faster rate.
- 16-bit peak files are used for increased resolution.
- The entire waveform is now visible during recording.
- Peaks no longer need to be built when recording is completed.
- Plug-In Manager performance has been improved.
- Performance has been improved when working with projects that contain many MIDI loops.
- An Enable multithreaded soft synth playback check box has been added to the Audio Device page in the Preferences dialog. Select this check box if you want ACID to use multiple processing threads for playing soft synths. On multicore/multiprocessor computers, this setting can significantly increase performance during playback and real-time rendering.
Clear the check box if you're using a single-core processor or if you're using soft synths that do not support multithreaded rendering.
- ACID can now render to Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) format. In the Render As dialog, choose Fraunhofer AAC from the Save as type drop-down list.
If your project contains a video track, you can render the audio portion of your project as AAC using the Main Concept codec. In the Render As dialog, choose MainConcept AVC/AAC from the Save as type drop-down list. The Main Concept codec is not available unless your project contains a video track.
- Keyboard shortcuts have been added for common Mixing Console functions.
- You can now set Mixing Console channel strip widths by choosing a command from the channel strip shortcut menu.
- Fixed a bug that could cause ACID to hang when adding or routing busses in 5.1 surround projects.
- Fixed a bug that prevented MIDI clips from being exported from the Clip Properties window.
- Fixed a bug that could cause audio to drop out when using the ExpressFX Dynamics plug-in.
- Fixed a bug that discarded marker, section, and region information when rendering to WMA or WMV formats.
- Fixed a bug that caused stretch markers to be duplicated when reloading a loop.
- Fixed a bug that prevented mute envelopes from being displayed properly on MIDI tracks.
- The cursor no longer lands between markers when jumping through areas with tempo curves.
- Pitch shifting a single audio event no longer pitch shifts the entire track.
- Fixed a bug that caused audio to be rendered improperly when the Sound Forge Wave Hammer plug-in was assigned to the ACID master bus.
Notable Fixes/Changes in Version 7.0a
- The élastique plug-in has been updated for improved performance.
- When the Close audio and MIDI ports when ACID is not the active application check box in Preferences > General is selected, external control is also suspended when ACID is not active.
- When you edit a clip in an external editor, audio, MIDI, and external control hardware is released regardless of the Close audio and MIDI ports when ACID is not the active application check box setting. The ports are re-enabled when focus is restored to ACID.
- The Save each track as a separate file check box is now available when rendering projects that contain video. When this check box is selected, each rendered track will contain the video strream as long as the rendering template is configured to render video. Fixed a bug that could cause ACID to crash when switching between audio devices.
- Fixed a problem that could prevent metronome countoff from working correctly.
- Fixed a bug that could produce an incorrect recording when changing your project bit depth or sample rate while a track is armed.
- Fixed several bugs that could occur when using ACID as a ReWire device.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when routing an input bus's input and output to hardware ports.
- Fixed a bug that caused an error when rendering to WAV format with rendering templates that use the GSM 6.10 format.
- When saving projects with soft synth automation, envelope fade types are now preserved.
- Fixed a bug that caused all uncategorized plug-ins to be moved when moving a single VSTi plug-in from the No Category folder to a user folder.
- Fixed a bug that caused plug-ins to sort slowly in the Plug-In Manager window.
- Fixed a bug that prevented peak meters in the Mixing Console window from resetting when stopping playback.
- Fixed a bug that prevented control surface channel-tracking indicators from being displayed in the Mixing Console window.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent the Mixing Console from saving its size and layout after restarting ACID.
- Fixed a bug that could cause Beatmapped events to be offset when dragging events on the timeline.
- Fixed a bug that could cause ACID to hang when changing a track's color.
- Fixed a bug that prevented single-tempo Beatmapped clips from updating their tempo correctly when using the Initial tempo (BPM) control on the Stretch tab of the Clip Properties dialog.
New Features in Version 7.0
- Interactive Tutorials.
- External control surface channel tracking.
- Custom labels for ASIO drivers and ports.
- Support for opening and rendering FLAC files.
- Support for opening and rendering AAC files.
- Support for rendering AC-3 files with the Dolby Digital AC-3 Studio plug-in.
Mixing and Editing
- Mixing Console window for a traditional hardware-style mixer view.
- Audio routing enhancements:
- You can now route busses to assignable effects via the Mixing Console window .
- You can now route busses to multiple sends via the Mixing Console window.
- If you want to apply track panning to bus or assignable FX sends, right click the bus or FX fader in the track header and choose Link to Main Track Pan from the shortcut menu.
- The Track Prefader Sends Listen to Mute check box in Preferences > Audio enables pre-volume sends from tracks to busses and assignable effects to respond to the track mute state.
- Input busses allow you to record from external devices with effects, mix external audio sources with your project, use external effects processors with your tracks and busses, and provide input monitoring.
- Real-time rendering.
- Audio, MIDI, and bus tracks now include output meters.
- Tempo curves between tempo markers.
- Enhanced timestretch and pitch shifting for Beatmapped clips with élastique Pro.
- Metronome countoff.
- Enhanced Beatmap markers for clips with multiple tempos.
- Phase, normalization, and channel control for audio clips.
- You can now invert the phase of audio tracks.
- Mute and lock event switches.
- You can now drag events across tracks to create and move clips.
MIDI and Effects
- MIDI track freeze.
- Enhanced plug-in management.
- Improved plug-in scanning via the Plug-In Manager.
- Close all applications before you begin installing ACID software.
- When the ACID trial mode expires, you can enter a serial number by choosing to purchase the software via the Web.
- If you uninstall ACID 7, the C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Sony\ACID Pro\7.0\acidpro.plugincache.xml (C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Sony\ACID Pro\7.0\acidpro.plugincache.xml in Windows Vista™) file is left behind to preserve the plug-in cache for future reinstallations.
- If you save an ACID project from an earlier version of ACID software
in ACID 7.0, it will be unusable in earlier versions of ACID software.
As dialog to save the project with a new name after editing it in ACID
- If you open an ACID 3.0 project that includes MIDI tracks that have
track effects applied, the effects will be discarded.
- If you open an ACID 3.0 project that includes MIDI tracks that have
DLS voice sets applied via Track Properties, the DLS association
create a soft synth control in the Mixer window and apply the appropriate
DLS set to the soft synth control. You can then route your track
to the soft synth.
- Timeline offsets are not sent correctly when generating MIDI
timecode. Synchronize your projects so measure one starts
- Your network connection needs to be enabled and active to register the Gracenote® Music Recognition Service. If you register without an active network connection, the Gracenote service may appear to register successfully, but you will be prompted to register again when you attempt to use the service.
- If you use the selection tool to select MIDI notes before clicking the event to select it, changes made on the MIDI Processes and Filters dialog may be applied to notes that are not selected.
- The .acd-zip file produced from saving a project whose uncompressed media total more than 2 GB in size is likely to be corrupt.
- When using the Chop to New Clip command on a mono clip, a stereo template may be selected by default. Use the Template drop-down list in the Chop to New dialog to choose an appropriate mono rendering template.
- ACID may become unstable and crash after rendering when using the ASIO driver for the M-Audio Ozone audio interface. Use the Audio Device tab in the Preferences dialog to switch to the Windows Classic Wave Driver when attempting to render while using this audio interface.
- If Windows Terminal Services is turned off, ACID will display an error during startup. You can re-enable Terminal Services in the Services Control Panel. Choose Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools >Services, and then double-click the Terminal Services entry. In the Terminal Services Properties dialog, set the Startup type drop-down list to Manual or Automatic. Click OK, and then right-click Terminal Services and choose Start from the shortcut menu.
- ACID Pro 7.0 includes drum, control, and program map template files for a number of MIDI hardware devices. In many cases, we do not have access to this hardware to verify these template files, so they are officially unsupported.
- A bug in ACID 6 prevented SYSEX data from being saved correctly. ACID 6 projects that contain SYSEX data will load some blank data in ACID 7.
- Existing sections cannot be modified if a frozen MIDI track exists, but new sections can be added.
- If you change your project key or add key-change markers after freezing MIDI tracks, the MIDI events will not be transposed. You can unfreeze the tracks and refreeze to cause the tracks to transpose as expected.
- The Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth may appear as an option when using Windows Vista, but it is unsupported.
- MIDI Bank Select in the DLS Soft Synth may not operate properly under Windows Vista SP1.
- MIDI channel aftertouch is displayed on the timeline, but polyphonic aftertouch is not.
- When ACID is operating in ReWire device mode, automation recording will not create envelopes properly. Existing envelopes will function correctly.
- When using Reason as a ReWire device in ACID, resetting MIDI ports from Reason may cause ACID to hang or crash.
- When using Reason as a ReWire device in ACID, playback may fall out of synch if you initiate playback using the transport controls on the ACID MIDI Clip Properties window. Stop playback and restart using the main transport controls below the ACID timeline.
- Performance may be decreased (and ACID may become unresponsive) when using ACID as a ReWire mixer and using an external control surface at the same time.
- A bug exists that can cause nested folder tracks to display incorrectly when collapsed.
- Surround projects cannot use real-time rendering.
- When you use real-time render, no error is displayed when you render over a file that is in use in your project.
- If you choose View > Audio Plug-In when a MIDI track is selected, the Audio Plug-In and MIDI Processes and Filters dialogs are displayed.
- Waves 5.0 VST plug-ins can draw their interface incorrectly. Use the DirectX versions of the plug-ins.
- The track effects plug-in icon in the track header can incorrectly report non-in-place plug-ins (yellow plug-in icon). Starting playback will cause the plug-in icon to display correctly.
- Beatmapped media files do not preview at the project key.
- Media markers and regions in Beatmapped clips are not drawn in the Chopper or General Clip Properties windows.
- Scanning BFD2 v2.0.4 from fxpansion.com may hang ACID during plug-in scanning. Using BFD version 2.1.041 or later resolves the issue.
- Empty folder tracks cannot be deleted under some circumstatnces. The workaround is to copy something to the folder track and then delete it.
- An update to the Garritan ARIA player is available on ACID Pro 7.0c release media, as well as from the Sony Creative Software Web site. This update is required for proper operation of ACID Pro 7.0c with multithreaded soft synth playback.
- Versions of the RealGuitar plug-in from musiclab.com prior to 2.2.2L do not display properly in ACID Pro. An update is available from http://www.musiclab.com.
The following lists the minimum system requirements for using ACID software:
- Microsoft® Windows® XP (SP 2 or later) or Windows Vista™.
- 1.8 GHz processor (2 GHz or faster recommended).
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB or more recommended).
- 150 MB hard-disk space for program installation. 8 GB of hard-disk space for installation of all optional components.
- Windows-compatible sound card.
- DVD-ROM drive for installation.
- Supported CD-recordable drive (for CD burning only).
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 (included on application disc for use with optional Media Manager component) *.
- Internet Connection (for Gracenote MusicID Service).
*.NET 3.0 adds functionality to .NET 2.0. After installing the .NET Framework 3.0, versions 2.0 and 3.0 will be displayed in the Windows Add or Remove Programs listing. Do not attempt to uninstall version 2.0; it is required by version 3.0.
The install utility creates any necessary folders and copies all files required by ACID software to your computer.
Installing from a boxed product
- Place the ACID application disc in the drive. The setup screen
is displayed (if AutoPlay is enabled for your DVD-ROM drive).
||If you have turned off the drive's AutoPlay
feature, click the Start button and choose Run. Type
D:\setup.exe, where D is the drive letter of your DVD-ROM drive, and follow the on-screen prompts to
complete the installation.
- Click Install, and then follow the on-screen
prompts to install the appropriate version of ACID for
Installing from the Web
- Download the install utility from our Web
- Double-click the file, and then follow the on-screen prompts
to install the appropriate version of ACID for your computer.
6.0 ACID User Manual
Included on the ACID application disc is a complete ACID User Manual
in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. The Acrobat format allows easy
printing of the text, should you need a hard copy. The manual
is located in the Manual folder on the application disc.
Installing Adobe Reader
In order to view the manual, you will need to install the Adobe Reader. It has been included on the application disc in the \Extras\Adobe Reader folder for your convenience. To install Acrobat Reader, follow these steps:
- Place the application disc in the drive. AutoPlay launches an installation menu.
||If you have disabled the drive's AutoPlay feature, click the Start button and choose Run. Type D:\Extras\Adobe Reader\English\AdbeRdr812_en_US.exe, where D is the drive letter of your DVD drive, and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
- Choose Browse Disc, and then browse to the D:\Extras\Adobe Reader\English\ folder.
- Double-click the AdbeRdr812_en_US.exe icon and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
If you would like information or demos of other Sony Creative Software Inc. products, please visit our Web
. You will always find the latest technical information,
demos, and product announcements there.
Commercial distribution of the Sony Creative Software Inc. demos requires written permission from Sony Creative Software Inc.
8.0 Contacting Sony Creative Software Inc.
Sony Creative Software Inc. can be contacted in the following ways:
Sony Creative Software Inc.
1617 Sherman Ave.
Madison, Wisconsin 53704
Telephone support during normal office hours:
- 1-800-577-6642 (toll-free) in US, Canada, and Virgin Islands.
- +608-204-7703 for all other countries.
- Fax: 1-608-250-1745.
Copyright © 2009. Sony Creative Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.